There are many nonprofit organizations in Bradenton and the surrounding area. Each one is doing incredible work to support our community by helping those less fortunate, promoting the arts, providing education, and more.
During our nonprofit spotlight series, we’ll highlight information about a different local nonprofit each week. This week, we were thrilled to chat with Selah Freedom to learn more about their mission and how we can help. Here’s what they had to say.
Can you tell us a little bit about your mission and how you help to support our community?
|Selah Freedom is a nonprofit organization with programs based in Florida and the Midwest. Our mission is to end sex trafficking and bring freedom to the exploited through five strong programs: Awareness, Prevention, Outreach, Residential, and Consulting.|
Who do you serve and why?
Selah Freedom confronts the issue of sex trafficking and is upheld as the model for how to effectively bring solutions to survivors of sex trafficking & exploitation. Selah is a Hebrew word that means to pause, rest, and reflect. We give survivors a chance to do just that. Survivors in our Programs are provided the opportunity to dream again; to discover who it is they were created to be.
Trafficking happens in all 50 states and Florida is #3 in the nation. Trafficking can happen anywhere and to anyone regardless of age, gender, and socioeconomic status.
Can you describe a few of your key programs?
We take a holistic approach to ending sex trafficking through 5 programs.
Awareness: This team focuses on spreading awareness about this issue by providing adult training events in our community. This team also manages marketing and volunteers.
Prevention: This team strives to reach students and adults by providing them with critical age-appropriate educational training, so they can be empowered to avoid common tactics used by traffickers.
Outreach: This team works with law enforcement and community partners, “on the streets and in the jails” to reach those in need of our services.
Residential: This provides survivors with a safe home to rest, restore, and relaunch into their new life of freedom. Survivors get food, clothing, shelter, medical and legal aid, trauma therapy, and so much more!
The newly added fifth program is our Consulting Program!
We have been able to mentor over 60 organizations in 10 states and 3 countries to help them provide safe and sustainable programs for their survivors.
What’s the best way our community can help?
There are so many ways to get involved! Here are a few…
1. Volunteer– There are opportunities to volunteer with each of our programs. We can match up your interests with a volunteer opportunity. Like crocheting? You can teach the survivors that! Like gardening? You can teach the survivors that too! Do you enjoy talking and meeting new people? You can work with our Awareness team on events and community booths!
2. Request a speaker– The first stepping stone to combating trafficking is to learn about it! You can request a speaker and we’ll go to your gathering or event to give our Awareness Presentation to your group.
3. Immediate Needs- You can see the survivor’s immediate needs on our Amazon Registry.
4. Angels Club- When survivors first come into our program, they often arrive with shattered wings. You can help heal and mend their broken wings by joining our monthly giving club.
5. Follow us on social media– One of the most underrated ways to help an organization is by engagement! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Not only will you be helping grow Selah Freedom’s online presence, but you will also be keeping up to date with what we do!
Visit https://www.selahfreedom.com/getinvolved to learn more!