If you’ve been in Bradenton for any length of time, you’ve likely noticed the large two-story building on Manatee Avenue West, just before Downtown. This historic hall is home to the Bradenton Woman’s Club, an organization that has been making a major impact on our community since 1913.
For years, the BWC has been known for its popular Friday night dances – but the club does so much more!
5 Pillars of Service
The Bradenton Woman’s Club is primarily a service organization, with committees focused on five different service areas, as well as signature projects related to domestic & sexual violence and advocating for children. The five community programs include:
- Arts & Culture – drawing, painting, sculpting, cooking, sewing, crafting, dancing, and more.
- Civic Engagement & Outreach – outreach efforts supporting first responders, military families, and veterans, as well as partnering with Jaycee Congress to recognize Honor Flight participants.
- Education & Libraries – providing supplies to area elementary schools and purchasing and donating them to local libraries.
- Environment – hands-on projects cleaning up Manatee County.
- Health & Wellness – helping a multitude of individuals in our community through the donation of food, clothing, hygiene items, and more.
Wondering what this actually looks like? Here are some of the projects the club sponsored in 2022…
Camp Boggy Creek Bears
Club members made 24 bears and 2 crocheted afghans to donate to a non-profit camp for children with serious illnesses. The camp, which is free of charge, helps the children and their families reach beyond illness and discover joy, confidence, and a new world of possibilities.
The club is also hosting “learn to crochet” classes for those who want to participate in future projects.
Donations for HOPE Family Services and Turning Points
In August 2022, members worked together to pack towel sets, personal hygiene kits, food, sheet & pillow sets, diapers, and more to be donated to Manatee County’s domestic violence and homeless shelters.
Other 2022 club projects included:
- Monetary donations to Feeding Empty Little Tummies (FELT)
- Personal hygiene items, toiletries, jewelry, and notes of inspiration delivered to Hope Family Services
- Police appreciation luncheon recognizing the service of Bradenton Police Department and Manatee County Sheriff’s Office
- Children’s Halloween Party for Manatee County Foster and Adoptive Parents Association
- Easter Bunny pencil pals for Ballard Elementary School
- Used bike donations to Turning Points
- Creating handmade Valentine’s Day Cards & handcrafted fidget quilts for memory care residents at Casa Mora
- Pinwheels for Prevention to raise awareness for Child Abuse Prevention Month
- And more
Join the BWC Today!
If you want to join an amazing group of women and make incredible contributions to our community, you’ll be glad to know that it’s easy to become a member of the Bradenton Woman’s Club.
The cost is just $50 a year and you can apply by completing and submitting this simple application.
Visitors are also always welcome to attend the monthly meetings, held on the 3rd Monday of each month at 6 pm (social time at 5:30) at the BWC (1705 Manatee Ave W, Bradenton, FL 34205) during the months of September through May.
This is a great way to check out the club and learn more about what it’s like to be a member.
Planning an event in Bradenton? The Bradenton Woman’s Club hall is the perfect location! This historic space features wooden floors, high ceilings, and a river rock fireplace. It’s ideal for weddings, corporate luncheons, birthday parties, family reunions, bridal showers, baby showers, or any gathering of up to 200 people.
Linens and a portable bar are also available for rent. Best of all, a portion of all hall rentals goes towards scholarships for women and children. You can learn more by checking out the BWC’s Hall Rental page.