Ask any New Yorker, and they’ll tell you that authentic NY-style food is really hard to come by in Florida. However, one meal at Mellie’s NY Deli will quickly change your mind!
The restaurant’s owner, Melanie “Mellie” Fernandez, grew up working alongside her uncle at his delis in the Bronx and throughout NY City. When she decided to bring a taste of her hometown to Bradenton, she nailed it!
Mellie and her husband, Lazarus Fernandez, opened their first restaurant in the Braden River Plaza in 2017. Since then, they’ve opened two more locations — a drive-thru in Lakewood Ranch and a spot in the Rally’s Gas Station on N Lockwood Ridge Rd in Sarasota.
They’ve earned a reputation for serving high-quality food at a fair and reasonable price — and plenty of it! All of their food is prepared fresh every day using Boars Head and Metro Deli meats and all of the freshest ingredients. Many are made using family recipes and the traditions of classic Italian and Jewish delis.
On the menu, you’ll find fresh NY bagels, piled-high sandwiches, delicious heros, and more. They offer dine-in and take-out meals as well as catering for all types of occasions. You can also order delivery through Uber Eats, Grub Hub, and Bite Squad.
Some of their most eye-catching breakfast items include:
- All The Way Baby – 3 eggs any style, hot pastrami, melted swiss, and Italian rope sausage, served with hash browns and biscuits & gravy.
- The Jersey Boy – real Jersey Taylor Ham (porkroll), 2 easy over eggs, and American cheese on a kaiser roll or NY bagel served with tater tots.
- The New Yorker (their hottest seller) – a classic breakfast sandwich made with pecan wood bacon, over-easy egg, and American cheese on a Kaiser roll or a NY bagel.
While the breakfast items are amazing, for a true NY experience, you’ll want to come hungry and order one of their huge sandwiches. You’ll find all the classics here, including Uncle Tony’s Meatball Wedge, the Kickass Reuben, and the Liberty Hero (REAL NY Cheese Steak).
Want something a bit different? Here are a few options to consider:
- Godfather Stromboli – soppressata, capicola ham, pepperoni, sausage, genoa salami, provolone cheese, and roasted red peppers melted to perfection.
- Pressed Eggplanter – fried eggplant, melted muenster cheese, roasted red peppers, and lettuce — drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
- HOT Italian Combo – truly a mind-blowing hot & cold fusion: HOT soppressata, HOT capicola Ham, HOT pepperoni, HOT salami with melted provolone and cool, crisp roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomato, onion, EVO with Italian peppers!
- The 16″ Big Central Park Hot Dog – the biggest hot dog in the state of Florida! This 2LB 16″ long gargantuan dog can feed up to three people or one big mouth New Yorker! Served with homemade ketchup, deli mustard & fries or chips.
Other items on the menu include NY style burgers, fried pickle chips, NY knish, soups, salads, wraps, pasta, and more!
The original Braden River restaurant is located at 4650 SR 64 Bradenton FL 34208. This space has 54 seats with tableside service. It’s open 7 days a week from 8 am until 5 pm.
Looking for a quick bite before or after work? Stop by the Rally’s Gas Station at 8471 N Lockwood Ridge Rd Sarasota, FL for delicious breakfast and lunch options. This location is open from 6 am until 5 pm Monday through Friday and 7 am to 4 pm on Saturday (closed Sunday).
The newest location, a drive-thru located at the 64 Mobil at 10508 SR 64 & Lakewood Ranch Blvd., is now open. The hours here are 6 am to 9 pm Monday through Thursday, 6 am to 10 pm on Friday, 7 am to 10 pm on Saturday, and 7 am to 9 pm on Sunday. Here, you’ll want to call your order in ahead of time. The phone number is 941-896-3543
When you stop by (and we know you will!) make sure to tell them you heard about it on Discover Bradenton!
Have you had the pleasure of visiting Millie’s NY Deli? Head over to their listing and leave them a review!