What’s better than taking a guided tour of some of the area’s most beautiful places? Doing it on a Segway!
Locally-owned company Zegway by the Bay offers unique and fun guided Segway tours in Bradenton, Anna Maria Island, and Venice.
If you’ve never been on a Segway tour before, you probably have a lot of questions. That’s okay, we did too!
We recently caught up with the company’s owner, Casey Hoffman, who filled us in on all the details. Here’s what you need to know!
What is a Segway Tour?
In case you weren’t aware, a Segway is a two-wheeled, self-balancing personal transporter. It’s designed to go anywhere, easily gliding along most terrains quietly, efficiently, and with no adverse environmental emissions. This makes them perfect for exploring all of the coolest places in the area.
Zegway’s tour guides are all locals, so they’re always ready to share interesting stories, point out historical, artistic, and cultural landmarks, and recommend some of their favorite places. Each rider is equipped with a two-way radio that allows everyone to hear one another. When no one is speaking, you’ll enjoy listening to music as you zip along.
Fun for Visitors and Locals!
While many visitors enjoy the Segway tours, it’s definitely not just for tourists! Locals love exploring the area in a whole new way, and often book tours when family and friends are visiting from out-of-town.
6 Unique Tours to Choose From
There are currently seven different tours to choose from:
- Downtown Bradenton Riverwalk – explore the Riverwalk and discover interactive sound sculptures, art, and native plants. This tour takes you by the amphitheater, splash pads, and more! Choose a day tour or the extremely popular night tour.
- Beach to Bay Adventure – during the nearly 8-mile round trip, you’ll see the coolest beaches on Anna Maria island, learn about island history and fun things to do, and explore the local flora and fauna. This is their most popular tour!
- Canals & Cottages Tour – want to see the softer side of AMI? During this tour you’ll explore kitschy cottages and canals on Holmes Beach. You’ll also stop at a few beach access areas and/or parks.
- Historic Bridge Street Tour – check out the island’s beautiful “Old Florida” neighborhoods, learn about the best places to watch sunrises and sunsets, and more.
- Venetian Waterway-Casperson – travel along Casperson Beach and explore the Venetian Intercoastal Waterway where you may catch a glimpse of dolphins, manatees, tortoises, eagles, and more!
- Historic Downtown Venice – explore some of the area’s quiet and quaint “Old Florida” neighborhoods and catch some amazing views of the Gulf.
The Beach to Bay tour and training takes about 2 hours. All of the other tours + training are approximately 90 minutes.
It’s Easier Than it Looks!
Since Segways are self-balancing, it’s super-simple to learn how to ride them! Each tour starts with a brief training session to ensure that you’re comfortable before you take off on your adventure. Many of the people who book tours have never been on a Segway before, and it typically takes two to five minutes to get a feel for it.
These tours are recommended for those age 14 and up. You’re never too old to enjoy a Segway tour — they’ve even done one with a 95-year-old! Tours are available for groups of 2 to 10 people. You must fall within the 100 to 300-pound weight range, and riders under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Since the Segways are typically 6 to 8 feet apart, this is the perfect way to have a socially-distant day of fun! It’s also a great team-building activity and is perfect for teens and youth groups.
To learn more about the tours and make a reservation, visit their website or call 941-565-2082. Make sure to check out their Facebook page, where you can find great photos and videos of their tours and keep up with all the latest updates.
DISCOUNT ALERT: Mention Discover Bradenton when you make your reservation for a Bradenton Riverwalk Day or Night Tour and pay just $25 per person (min. 4 riders).